Suggestion for early termination

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
jamieg

Suggestion for early termination

Post by jamieg »

Please make it an option to continue play after reaching early termination conditions. I've got to the termination conditions before getting to attack Manila in a Luzon scenario and would love to see what happens next.
Lowlander

Re: Suggestion for early termination

Post by Lowlander »

Totally agree with you request.
+1

Come on everybody. vote now.
Excelsior

Post by Excelsior »

I think "Early Termination" should be optional at the start. Playing out a scenario is oftentimes more satisfying than winning.
jamieg

Post by jamieg »

I agree, it is especially the case if you are playing to see how history might have gone.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

What turn did you get to in your games before the EST kicked in? We added that in so that the players would not be forced to play out the entire length of the scenario.

It is quite easy to copy the scenario file, open the editor and turn OFF the EST option. Its in the Scenario Header. Then save the COPY of the file and play that one.

If you want to open up your .btl file you can manually edit the file. Here is what the top section of the file looks like:

#45_0109_01: Luzon Campaign - Invasion to Manila
1945 1 9 10 1 0 1 473
0 5000 8000 9000
0 14252096 70 70 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 5 3 0 0 0
0 1 0 2

You would want to change that last line value at the end from 2 to 0.

As always, check with WDS Tech Support FIRST on this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Hi Bill.
Thanks for sharing this info, initially I thought this referred to altering a file within the editor, but quickly realised you are referring to the unique individually created battle file. So no danger of altering the game settings/mechanism.
Ian.
jamieg

Post by jamieg »

Hi Bill Peters;
I was not reporting a bug or asking for a solution for a personal situation. I was asking whoever makes the decisions that an option be provided to allow players to continue if they so desire, Why would that require Tech Support? But, I really don't understand what you mean by players being forced to to play out the entire length of the scenario. I've played both Panzer campaigns solo and hth many times, but I've always been able to quit when I wanted to. Is there some mechanism in the game that kills me if I don't play to the end? ;-) To answer your question I was on turn 170 when play stopped. I had cleaned up everything in the north except for the positions of the naval troops and was preparing to give XIVth corps a couple of days to get everybody back to 0 fatigue. I generally pay no attention to victory points when playing solo and was very surprised to find that I had 'won' without getting close to Manila.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

I doubt that you will see a game series program change to allow the players to have an option "mid-game" so to speak for the game to continue if they like where there EST is the option via Scenario Editor. Its either one way or the other.

Now if David decides to add that in - so be it. But I was just giving you an "out."

And no, there is no penalty for a player to just end the game early. It sounded like you got a point where the game ended because you hit the Major Victory threshold and could not continue.

So there are three options: end the game where the Major Victory stops play OR copy the scenario and turn the feature OFF OR you edit the game file. I am sure it would be a nice option to have a "Continue Play" option in the Main Program. More power to you guys on that ....

But it sounds from what you are saying as if David and co. need to raise the VPs for a Major Victory. I wish we could have tested the Campaign scenarios fully. You should send your game file to the Support email. Input from the customer base on victory outcome is always appreciated.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

Comment: its going to be awkward for me to continue to comment on the forum posts on games I worked on as I no longer work for WDS. I think it best for me to gracefully bow out at this point. <THUMBSUP>

Rich knows that he can always contact me if he or David has a question.

Enjoy the product and it was my honor to be able to work with JTS and now WDS for 24 years!
berto

Post by berto »

FWIW, I think that every game should give you the option to play on past the formal end of scenario time limit. It's on my standard wish list. We will see what we can do. Or not. No hard promises.
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167