Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
ShermanFan

Night Moves

Post by ShermanFan »

I woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain't funny how the night moves

Ooops! Sorry about that. The thread title distracted me for a couple of seconds.

But seriously panzer campaign commanders, particularly with the inherent lack of air support, do you tend to rest your units during night turns, or do you forge ahead with the offensive?

All responses are appreciated.
Dion

Re: Night Moves

Post by Dion »

Depends, if there's a lot of game time left I try to let my units rest, if there isn't a lot of game time left, I have no choice but to get on with it and commence night operations. Basically, I like to let my guys get plenty of rest, but like I say sometimes you have no choice. I never commence night operations because of, or lack of air support, bad habit to count on air support at night time, in-fact most types of aircraft can't even fly at night .
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

I use the dark hours to move up reinforcements and to relieve frontline unit in need of beeing relieved.
I do do push on and attack aswell during night time if there is an opportunity to be exploited by doing so. Or to keep the enemy from getting an opportunity to rest. I try to only use well rested troops for this. If I rest all my units that means the enemy will also get a chance to rest. And I don't like giving the enemy time to rest.
ShermanFan

Post by ShermanFan »

The other "night moves" issue I forgot about until getting through a few turns of Philippines '44 is the propensity for units to disrupt when move, particularly into or through more challenging terrain.
Dion

Post by Dion »

ShermanFan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:41 am The other "night moves" issue I forgot about until getting through a few turns of Philippines '44 is the propensity for units to disrupt when move, particularly into or through more challenging terrain.
You can get around that, by moving in column formation on roads, then you don't take any fatigue while moving at night, though you better look it up in the rule book, because I'm not sure if you have to be both, in column formation and on a road, or you just have to be in column formation. Could be another series I'm thinking about, so I might be wrong. There are different rules concerning night movement for all the series, based on the scale used for that series.
KAreil

Post by KAreil »

Dion wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:08 pm You can get around that, by moving in column formation on roads, then you don't take any fatigue while moving at night, though you better look it up in the rule book, because I'm not sure if you have to be both, in column formation and on a road, or you just have to be in column formation. Could be another series I'm thinking about, so I might be wrong. There are different rules concerning night movement for all the series, based on the scale used for that series.
Just make sure to check the road stacking limit!
If you get above that the travel mode exception for night disruption no longer applies.
Learned that the hard way in Japan'45 where the road stacking limit was rather low...
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)
jamieg

Post by jamieg »

Also beware of the propensity of units to take shortcuts cross country when moving. There is nothing more disgusting than watching a unit go off the road and immediately disrupt....

Just make sure to check the road stacking limit!
If you get above that the travel mode exception for night disruption no longer applies.
Learned that the hard way in Japan'45 where the road stacking limit was rather low...
[/quote]
ShermanFan

Post by ShermanFan »

Those are all great responses!