El Jarama '37 Spanish CW Mod Revival (Kursk '43)

Forum to share all game modifications
Hunter9502

El Jarama '37 Spanish CW Mod Revival (Kursk '43)

Post by Hunter9502 »

Hello everyone, there has been a mod floating around for a long time called La Batalla del Jarama 1937, dating to around 2004 and developed by a user called Guntxu. It portrays the famous Battle of Jarama of the Spanish Civil War, with a custom OOB and unit GFX. I am not quite sure where it originates, but a page can be found for it on theblitz.club: https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/pzc ... io&id=6181

In the form downloaded from the web it is essentially a standalone game, modified using Kursk '43 but not requiring a serial since the engine used is an ancient HPS era version. I decided to look into how possible it would be to convert this mod to work for modern (4.00+) versions of Kursk '43, and it turned out to be relatively easy. The main work had to do with updating map GFX and changing the file structure.

As a result I am happy to share this updated mod with you all: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_crytw ... share_link

I can only confirm that this will work with Kursk '43, and it will require JSGME to install (a Readme.txt is included for additional info). It is no longer standalone, so it will require an existing Kursk '43 install and valid serial key. While it may be possible to get to work for other titles, the map is actually made using a chunk of the Kursk campaign map, so I am not certain it can be separated from that game.

I haven't had the chance to extensively test beyond a few turns to ensure no crashing issues are present. I am not experienced with scripting, so no changes were made to the scenario code beyond updating the description. I can imagine it would work best HtH, but since the Nationalist side is on the attack I believe fun could be found playing them vs. a Republican AI. If anyone encounters issues or has any feedback I would greatly appreciate it!

As a disclaimer to WDS, map GFX files from El Alamein '42 were used in this mod for terrain, which is what the original mod used to make things look more like the actual desert-like terrain in the Jarama Valley. If this is an issue I am happy to take the file down.

Previews at all 2D zoom levels:

Yellow = Nationalists, Grey = Germans, Purple = Republicans, Red = International Brigades, Brown = Soviets

Italian GFX (Blue) is also included just like in the original mod, but it goes unused as they are not historically present at the battle. Could maybe be used for an alternate history version, or for creating other battles of the war.

Alternate Nationalist and Republican unit colors that more resemble the original mod are included in the files.

3D zoom example:

Unit examples:

Scenario selection:

Screenshot of original mod, for reference:

Last edited by Hunter9502 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All_American

Re: El Jarama '37 Spanish CW Mod Revival (Kursk '43)

Post by All_American »

Wow, incredible. Thank you for reviving it, didn't even know it existed. Looks awesome.
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

Wonderful !

Thank you very much, I think I'll have to buy Kursk '43...
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Have had this for a long time in hps, thanks for reviving it!!
Live now, pay later...
Squadman45

Post by Squadman45 »

A question about your mod... you are using the old HPS mod? because at least 15 years ago, in a summer with a lot of time, i reworked the OOB to update it to McNamara standard, reduce size of battalion HQ increasing companies size, made all companies use same portrait to allow merge companies and asked Jison to made custom unitboxes for both sides.

Apart that every subunit in Nacionales-alzados, has different counter, La legión (green), Regulares (brown), Falange (blue), Requetes (orange) and regular army (grey) o well, and cavalry regiments in yellow, except Regulares squadrons in brown.

I think is avaliable in TheBlitz and update to work with gold version but over Kurks.
Attachments
001.jpg
02.jpg
Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

Squadman45 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:32 pm A question about your mod... you are using the old HPS mod? because at least 15 years ago, in a summer with a lot of time, i reworked the OOB to update it to McNamara standard, reduce size of battalion HQ increasing companies size, made all companies use same portrait to allow merge companies and asked Jison to made custom unitboxes for both sides.

Apart that every subunit in Nacionales-alzados, has different counter, La legión (green), Regulares (brown), Falange (blue), Requetes (orange) and regular army (grey) o well, and cavalry regiments in yellow, except Regulares squadrons in brown.

I think is avaliable in TheBlitz and update to work with gold version but over Kurks.
Very cool, I didn't know about this. I do use the old HPS version. I did as thorough of a search as I could to make sure no one else had done anything like this but I could barely find any information on the mod much less any updates or variants made, but I guess I didn't look hard enough.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Hunter9502 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 pm

Previews at all zoom levels:

Cool stuff! But what about the 3D view zoom levels?
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

Cédric Monget wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:02 pm Wonderful !

Thank you very much, I think I'll have to buy Kursk '43...
Damn, I I forgot to buy Kursk 43' at the last sale :(
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I will be buying Kursk during the next sale too. This is fabulous, and of more interest to me than Kursk itself. Thanks for your work on this.
Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

Verdun1916 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:19 pm
Hunter9502 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 pm

Previews at all zoom levels:

Cool stuff! But what about the 3D view zoom levels?
Sorry for not including that, it looks like this:

I'll add that to the main post.