Didactylos

No forum for Seven Years War?

Post by Didactylos »

Hmm?

Roger
GMcClellan

Re: No forum for Seven Years War?

Post by GMcClellan »

Seven Years War is part of the Musket and Pike series (currently that and Renaissance), so that's where SYW stuff goes :D
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
Didactylos

Post by Didactylos »

Ok, three comments on that....
1. Not listed as a sub forum on that so not obvious
2. They had lots of muskets but no pikes....... somewhat misleading.
3. Renaissance and 7 Years War are worlds apart in terms of their technology and approach to battle

It does seem to be a sadly neglected/ niche game this one.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

True, they aren't as closely tied as the Napoleonic games...but we can't create a new "series" for every period across history! So you will see many different topics covered under the M & P series over time. And, as you point out, there's only 2 games there thus far, but if over time the need develops for it's own sub-forum we will certainly make that alteration.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Well, pike weren’t totally eradicated from western armies til the 1720’s or so, and half pike remained in use for nco’s for some armies through the Napoleonics… that being said, I always thought the category was based on the engine used( ie the modified Napoleonic engine )
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:02 am Well, pike weren’t totally eradicated from western armies til the 1720’s or so, and half pike remained in use for nco’s for some armies through the Napoleonics… that being said, I always thought the category was based on the engine used( ie the modified Napoleonic engine )
I read somewhere that the half pike used by the British officers at Waterloo had been useful. It would allow to align the soldiers in the squares and make them feel the presence of their officer.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Cédric Monget wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:07 am
TheGrayMouser wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:02 am Well, pike weren’t totally eradicated from western armies til the 1720’s or so, and half pike remained in use for nco’s for some armies through the Napoleonics… that being said, I always thought the category was based on the engine used( ie the modified Napoleonic engine )
I read somewhere that the half pike used by the British officers at Waterloo had been useful. It would allow to align the soldiers in the squares and make them feel the presence of their officer.
No doubt it also helped shove the less eager back into line! ;)
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

Didn't the Russian militia have pikes as late as Borodino?

In any case, I've always found it amusing that we more or less set the early (REN) and late (SYW) games for the series with the first two games. The beauty of this engine is that it's got some flexibility built in that helps in design.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

Carnot wanted to equip the French army with them. And there were some republican units with pikes as a weapon in the Vendée. This is the last episode of the "querelle de l'ordre mince".
S Trauth

Post by S Trauth »

Am pretty sure there were militia units in the American War of Independence that used pikes as well. However, seriously it's just a name of a series - should it have been made more generic after Seven Years War came out? I am pretty sure it was a discussion - but not sure it was that big of an issue at the time. It was one of those things- just go with it.

It's what's in the engine that counted, not the name of it, in any event.

--Actually I remember reading there were mounted dragoons with pikes in the Thirty Years War- what actual use they had- who knows ... it wasn't like you could mount and dismount units with pike and then have them form a block.